The Sports Premium was introduced in September 2013 and is allocated to schools to improve the provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport in Primary Schools. Our school premium for 2015 - 2016 is £8,855.
The Sports Premium is clearly identifiable in the school budget and it is left to the discretion of the school to decide how best to use this funding. Schools are required to publish online information describing how they have used this funding, so that parents and other stakeholders are made fully aware of how the Sports Premium has impacted on the lifestyles of pupils.
At St. Lawrence’s C of E VA Primary School, we are committed to encouraging our children to lead an active, healthy lifestyle. We provide a programme of activities across the wider school curriculum which:
- Encourages enjoyment and participation in sports activities
- Develops a range of sports skills
- Teaches children about fair play, co-operation, competition and team work
- Teaches children the importance of healthy eating and exercise
The Sports Premium was initially time limited for two years, therefore it is was vital we established and developed sustainable provision both for P.E. and wider sporting/physical activity opportunities. In order to do this, we have used the premium funding to engage with specialist partners, Total Sports and Archbishop Holgate's School. Through their services we can access a range of activities and opportunities to further enhance sporting capacity within our school. These include:
- Teacher CPD opportunities – specialist coaching in P.E. lessons throughout the year with the Coach leading the lesson and the teacher observing/team teaching to develop their own skills. The Coach provides copies of lesson plans for school staff.
- After School Sports Activities – A Specialist Coach and teachers lead after school and lunchtime sporting activities to encourage children to take part in structured physical activity/sport in their own time, to encourage healthy lifestyle choices and to support positive play.
- Swimming Lessons – Years 4, 5 & 6 children all attend swimming lessons at the local secondary school, Archbishop Holgate's, once a week on a Wednesday morning. It provides children with a level of fitness and an understanding of water sports. It also provides them with the opportunity to walk, increasing their fitness to and from the pool in addition to the activities undertaken within the pool. Teaching is intense as the majority of children are not taken swimming outside of school and for many in Year 4 it is the first time in a pool.
Summary of Provision:
All children are also encouraged to participate in the Golden Mile, which is 7 laps of both playgrounds. This activity is undertaken in year groups once a week. It enables them to build up their fitness and be able to identify for themselves how much they are progressing.
All children undertake Physical Education lessons as part of the weekly timetable as detailed below. These sessions are led by a specialist sports coach and observed/team teach with a member of the school’s teaching staff:
Total Sports Weekly Schedule: (throughout the academic year)
Wednesdays - Year 2 - Year 1 - Year 4 - Year 6 - Year 5
Thursdays - Year R - Year 3 - Year 6 - Year 2 - Year 1
In addition, all children are encouraged to take part in the School’s yearly Sport’s Day in at least one, maximum of 3 activities. This provides a safe environment for the children to experience healthy competition. It also provides an opportunity for Parents to observe their children’s progress in the hope that Parent’s will continue to encourage their children to develop a healthier lifestyle.