Christian Values and School Ethos
Through our Christian values and school ethos, we strive to provide a rich learning environment for all pupils whatever their need.
Caring – We respect and care for everyone in our school community and beyond
Considerate – We are welcoming and hospitable to everyone – we value differences
Courageous – Even when we face difficulties and problems, we never give up.
Our values are:
- Being loving and caring – we respect and care for everyone in our school community and beyond
Why do we do this? In the Bible, Jesus tells his disciples “A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)
- Being welcoming and considerate of everyone – we value difference in everyone in our school community and beyond
Why do we do this? In the Bible, St Peter says “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. (1 Peter 4:8-10)
- Being brave and courageous – if we face problems, we bounce back!
Why do we do this? In the Bible, God tells us “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
Our vision is:
- Hope: Enabling every child to flourish as a child of God. Every child is an individual, and we educate the whole child, so that all our children fulfil their full potential. Our children are young only once, and we will make sure they all get an education that is broad, rich and deep.
- Wisdom: Being a shining place of excellent teaching and learning where children have fun, and everyone loves learning through our innovative curriculum and exciting activities outside lessons. Being a safe, secure and supportive learning environment, where we encourage children to develop healthy life styles through diet and exercise.
- Dignity: showing that all the children and adults at St Lawrence are welcoming, kind, loving and encouraging. We respect the rights, values and beliefs of all people through the Christian ethos of the school. We care for each other, and serve our community.
- Community: Working together with parents and guardians to be an inspiring place where everyone lives life in its fullness, and is a light to the whole community.
We think Jesus might say to our school, “St Lawrence School is the shining light of its community. A school on top of a hill cannot be hidden! You don’t light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead you put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let’s make sure St Lawrence School shines in its community, so that everyone might see our good deeds and glorify our Father in heaven.” (Paraphrase of Matthew 5:14-16)